Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 137
Default Jumpseating with a guitar

I'd like to bring my telecaster with me next weekend on a SWA flight which I hope to J/S on. Just curious as to how that works?

1) Can I bring it through KCM no issues?
2) Is there space to store it on the FD?
3) If there is no overhead space what happens, does it go in the belly (least desirable)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
WhisperJet is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #2  
Layover Master
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperJet View Post
I'd like to bring my telecaster with me next weekend on a SWA flight which I hope to J/S on. Just curious as to how that works?

1) Can I bring it through KCM no issues?
2) Is there space to store it on the FD?
3) If there is no overhead space what happens, does it go in the belly (least desirable)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Im not at SWA, but I have done it.
1) KCM no problem at all.
2) No space on a 737 for it (unless crew sorta bends rules and keeps it behind a pilot seat unsecured).
3) No, just pop it in an overhead bin or the coat closet. No problem whatsoever. As a J/S you can pre-board, just politely ask the gate agent and inform them youd like to speak with the crew. They are typically friendly and obliging. Just be thankful and nice.
PotatoChip is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #3  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jun 2018
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Im not at SWA, but I have done it.
1) KCM no problem at all.
2) No space on a 737 for it (unless crew sorta bends rules and keeps it behind a pilot seat unsecured).
3) No, just pop it in an overhead bin or the coat closet. No problem whatsoever. As a J/S you can pre-board, just politely ask the gate agent and inform them youd like to speak with the crew. They are typically friendly and obliging. Just be thankful and nice.

yup put in overhead, do not ask crew to bend rules for you. thanks
GreatStory is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 332
Default

Chances are both pilots (the FO will be playing his in the jetbridge during boarding) will also have guitars so factor that in...

Last edited by IAHB756; 06-18-2018 at 01:09 PM.
IAHB756 is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #5  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Posts: 92
Default

All I can think of is this...

Burt Reynolds is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #6  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Default

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Holy s$&! Greatest post of all time!! Well played sir!!
O Face is offline  
Old 06-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
402DRVR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: A320 Right Seat
Posts: 306
Default

Not SWA but I bring my Yamaha Silent acoustic on the road all the time. KCM is no issue at all. If folks can bring a cello then my guitar won't be an issue.

I don't see the issue with asking the crew to keep it on the flight deck, I always ask the crew to do just that. Of course I'm usually on company metal so that might make a difference with company rules nd such. I'm sure if you were JSing and sitting up front they'd allow you to stick your suitcase up there so if there's room I see no difference.

Otherwise stick it in the overhead and ask the FAs to help you out if it gets full.

Where are you putting the amp?
402DRVR is offline  
Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402DRVR View Post
Not SWA but I bring my Yamaha Silent acoustic on the road all the time. KCM is no issue at all. If folks can bring a cello then my guitar won't be an issue.

I don't see the issue with asking the crew to keep it on the flight deck, I always ask the crew to do just that. Of course I'm usually on company metal so that might make a difference with company rules nd such. I'm sure if you were JSing and sitting up front they'd allow you to stick your suitcase up there so if there's room I see no difference.

Otherwise stick it in the overhead and ask the FAs to help you out if it gets full.

Where are you putting the amp?
Not bringing an amp. Just my mac w/ garage band and my interface.
WhisperJet is offline  
Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #9  
Line Holder
 
THEKERNALKLINK's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: 737 LEFT SEAT
Posts: 57
Default

Just find whatever airline it was that the flight crew had a hot plate or tea pot or whatever running in the cockpit. They won't mind! You could all play music and smoke a hog or something if the flight is long enough.

I suggest taking up the ukulele.
THEKERNALKLINK is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New FDX IDs and jumpseating Purpltail Cargo 5 02-13-2013 10:03 AM
Guitar Stores in NYC . . . JDFlyer Hangar Talk 3 08-27-2009 08:43 AM
Guitar pickers, a moment of silence... alarkyokie Hangar Talk 2 08-18-2009 10:49 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:07 AM.