View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 01:09 PM
dojetdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

Originally Posted by zubart View Post
After reading all the reports, I still can't determine if all of the standby flight instruments were working. Were they Working? If they were, why didn't the flightcrew use them to maintain control of the aircraft?
Take it FWIW;

02:10Z:
Autothrust off
Autopilot off
FBW alternate law
Rudder Travel Limiter Fault
TCAS fault
Flight Envelope Computation warning

02:11Z:
Failure of all three ADIRUs
Failure of gyros of ISIS (attitude information lost)

02:12Z:
ADIRUs Air Data disagree

02:13Z:
Flight Management, Guidance and Envelope Computer fault
PRIM 1 fault
SEC 1 fault
02:14Z:
Cabin Pressure Controller fault (cabin vertical speed)
Originally Posted by zubart View Post
It's time for the airline simulator training to do away with the typical "approach to stall" training they do now and start full stall recovery training. We've lost too many aircraft all over the world in the last few years due in-flight lost of control and improper full stall recovery techniques.
Agree. And my airline, who has proven to be SLOOOOOWWWWW to change, has done just that. It's no longer the standard PTS stalls with minimal loss of altitude, or gain of altitude in the (recovery), etc. It's real world training and recovery. One at high altitude (mid 30's), one on an approach (similar to the Colgan), and one on Take off with with a hard turn and trust reduction to initiate it.

Also, it's no longer a "checked" event on a PC/LOFT with the check airman debriefing how you "lost altitude in the setup and screwed you up in the recovery" or because you didn't complete the maneuver back to a specific heading/altitude/speed, etc. It's a trained maneuver, with the student being allowed to do what it takes to get the plane flying again without crashing. It's light years ahead of what I did previous at this airline, as well as my former.