View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 PM
FliFast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: I was acquired, Not Hired

I have to agree with Pilot 7576, The Rolls motors have a higher max motoring than the PW2037s, but once you add the fuel they start faster than a car engine (airport cars need not apply). I have found the Rolls (at least the old National Airlines ones i flew at TransMeridian) were more subject to hot starts than the Pratts. When starting the Pratts, you could engage the starter, add fuel , and eat your lunch before they got to a stabilized idle.

The Pratts you can taxi on idle thrust, to me it seemed like you had to add power off-n-on to taxi with the RR motors, and on landing you could pull the power all the way off on the Pratts at 20 to 30 feet because they had a bit of residual thrust, whereas the RR motors, it seemed like a good idea to keep a tiny bit of power in until touchdown.

This may be an arguable point, but I found the Pratts had more power and flew a faster plane, even though the RR engines have a higher thrust. Maybe I always had Pratts when I had a commuter flight to catch....dunno.

Just my humble observations...your miles may vary.