View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:22 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
Prior to UAL 232 in Sioux City, someone pointed out the fact that the DC-10 had all the hydraulic systems bottle necked past the #2 engine, and "What if" an uncontained engine failure severed all the lines? The engineers postulated that the chance of that happening was something on the order of 1:10 million. Guess what, it happened. The only reason everyone on board didn't perish was you had an A-list group of guys on board, that happened to bring their A-game that day, to an aiport that just-so-happened to have a mass casualty drill the day prior, at a time when the hospital was changing over shifts and was double staffed to handle the patients.
Wasn't the casualty drill going on the day of?

Ramble off statistics all day, 1:anything makes anything possible.
And impossible to cover ALL bases. There is SOME risk that you just can't get around.

USMC, the Hornet is a great FBW a/c (phenominal actually) however the A-D still have mechanical reversion when the lights go out, or the trons stop flowing. I've seen it!!!
Hey - cut me some slack here!
I haven't been out THAT long and I still have a NATOPS!
I did cover MECH in my original post too when I said "...a well designed system will have some type of back-up...."

USMCFLYR