Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 AM
EWRflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 737 CAPT
Default Frontier and quadriplegic: Discussion

Frontier apologizes to quadriplegic passenger - Travel - News - msnbc.com

THIS IS NOT A FRONTIER BASHING THREAD. I saw this on Airliners.net, and I think it does raise an interesting topic for conversation.

Obviously, disabled people travel all of the time, so really this isn't an issue about the disabled and travel. I think the captain was rightfully concerned regarding the use of proper restraints. Would the FAA consider seat belt extensions not for the waist/lap area a proper method to restrain an individual during normal flight? Is this an approved method? What liability would the airline have in an emergency if in fact they were considered to be used improperly?

I think everyone remembers a few years ago when those devices were used by passengers between the seatback and the tray table to prevent passengers in front of them from reclining their seats too far. These were deemed by the FAA to be a non-approved device and FAs were supposed to police their use. I can't think of another analogy at this time.

It seems many of these types of stories about passengers being denied boarding occur on the return portion of their trip. The airline allowed them to travel outbound but then on the return someone raises a question.

I don't think anyone is to blame in this. While unfortunate for the passenger and his family, the captain erred on the side of caution because there simply was no answer.

Thoughts?