View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
own nav
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

While I can appreciate your efforts to add a dose of reality to Burbank's recruiting speech, you need to check your facts before you make such blanket statements as "no one goes from AMF to Majors." I've had a few friends go from AMF to Boeing, MD80 and Airbus operators. More before 2008 than after.

To be fair, yes, AMF pilots do have a disadvantage to our Regional counterparts, however, I'd contend that the main factor is a lack of "networking," as opposed to a lack of 121 time. Regional pilots fly with each other and have large pilot groups. Getting 3 internal recommendations from people you've flown with is a lot easier at an airline with 3000 pilots than a single pilot operator with 190 pilots and an average base size of 20.

On a personal note, IMHO, if you look at the big picture, the economy is slow right now. Competition is fierce. A pilot's career can be over 40 years long, there will be a few ups and downs, how you ride it out is up to you. I'm personally not one for the "rat race" to the majors.