View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Luv2Rotate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by lstorm2003 View Post
So by the way now my next question is how do I log this time? Can I log this as IMC Actual? I suppose not since I didn't file IFR. Next time I take this flight I'll definatly be filing IFR.

Although I do have another question for folks out there. The IFR preferred route when going from Key West to Fort Lauderdale wants you to basically turn North very early and be over open water for longer than I'm comfortable. This is why my normal procedure is to over fly Marathon (and in fact pass Marathon by about 10 miles) before turning to the North for Fort Lauderdale. This minimizes the time spent over the water. In the past I've even tried filing IFR via Marathon, but when I get my clearance they always change it to the IFR preferred route which keeps me offshore much longer. How do I avoid this? The only way I know how is by asking for a different route once airborne. Usually they are cooperative, and I know if they won't let me do what I want I can always just cancel IFR, but how can I get my initial clearance to match what I've asked for? Is this even possible?
Tell them you cannot accept their clearance due to glide distance and you need to stay with your route.