Thread: SWA ATN sli
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 02:41 AM
DeadHead
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by DLJK View Post
As someone in my early 30's sitting near the bottom of this new list. I agree that looking at an 18 year upgrade isn't exactly how I visioned my career would go. However when I step back and realize that the biggest factor in getting to where I want to be in 30 years, isn't when I upgrade but rather how soon can I get a nest egg and the power of compound interest working for me. With that said the best thing for my future, is a job where as an FO I can start to make decent money while still relatively young. As I compare career paths with other of my regional friends who have moved on, it is likely they'll beat me to the left seat, but I like my odds of having a nest egg that will bring more to me in the long term than the harm of a delayed upgrade for a few years. Just the perspective of someone looking up at this new list.
Extremely smart perspective.

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
I can't fault that logic in and of itself. But does this proposed SLI contain relative seniority snapbacks if there are ever pay cuts in the future? Shirley SWAPA would have no problem including a stipulation like that, since pay cuts are impossible at the mightiest airline on earth, right?
+1

Seniority is non-negotiable once agreed upon , pay, however, is something that can change drastically from one contract to another. If the status quo stays as is, and SWA continues to lead the industry in pay, then guys like DLJK have no need to worry about upgrade as a goal to reach financial stability.

If, however, harder times happen to fall upon SWA, and drastic contractual cuts need to be made, FOs may not see 10+ years in the right seat in the same light as they do now. I of course don't wish any of this on anyone pilot group, just playing devil's advocate here, bad contractual agreements regarding SLIs seem to become much, much worse during harder times, and 10 years is a long time.