View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain
Default Minor re-direct on this thread

I have another SUB/OTP question and I'd rather not start a new thread. As usual, the contract is difficult to interpret and I'm having trouble corroborating some of the statements in the sub section of the ALPA calendar.

Scenario: You have back to back trips and the first trip gets revised, conflicting with the following trip.

The revision gets you well into the 200% overage and pays well over the guarantee for the second trip so it makes financial sense to take the overage instead of sub for the second trip.

The ALPA calendar gouge says you can:
1) accept substitution (not a good plan in this case)
2) drop the trip in conflict w/o pay and get the overage w/ the second trip's hours put in your M/U bank.
3) elect OTP

The gouge says if you elect option 3 (OTP), you get the trip guarantee for the extended trip AND overage is paid as if the conflicting trip was dropped. I can't find a supporting paragraph to back this up in the contract, so I can only assume this has been verified by the authors of the calendar (since it's been that way for the last 6 years).

So, my question is, why would someone elect option #2 when option #3 appears to give the same pay AND OTP for the second trip CH? If you don't use the OTP hours in the next 2 months, they just become regular M/U hours which is the same situation as option #2.

I'm asking because when this happened, a scheduler told me if I elected OTP then I would only get trip guarantee for the first trip and no overage. This directly contradicted the calendar but since that's not binding and I couldn't find supporting info in the contract, I took option #2 to ensure I got the overage.

Thoughts? Personal experience or contract references?

Thanks.