View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
flyn2001
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 73 gear slinger

[QUOTE=FlyerJosh;1048815]Answer that in an interview and I guarantee you won't get hired. Simply put, it's a load of excrement.

We deviate from SOP every flight. Everybody. It might be something really minor like sterile cockpit or not adhering to checklist flow or something, but it's still a deviation from SOP.

Holy s#%t bro...are you serious? Every flight?

I must be thinking of something different because SOP's in my sqdn mean "Standard Operating Procedures". They are the guidlines by which we teach new instructors how to employ our aircraft in various categories throughout the NAS. Now, I can understand briefing something as "non-standard" before the flight IF the standards give me that flexibility (i.e. "should" vs. "shall" or "will"). If I set the tone such that SOPs are only to be followed unless the AC doesn't want to follow them...what kind of message is that? Is that what they will teach their brand new UPT students too?

Now let me lessen the blow you will probably deliver (sts)....I've never been an airline guy...zero experience. My company has never been focused around the revenue generated from flying from Pt A to Pt B...but I would argue that I have flown missions just as critical...if not more so! I realize it is different...but I'm willing and eager to learn! Is deviation from SOP's an acceptable and normal "every day" practice? Is Integrity not a core value that a company is seeking? Are rules only to be followed if conditions permit? In my experience, when I tell my leadership that something can't be done, and give them the reasons why and also my suggested solutions to make the mission move (within regs) they usually agree...and then my decision making processes, in their eyes, becomes that much more valuable, as do I. If they direct me to deviate....well, now that just became their call...and if safety will not be compromised, I will press.

Here is an example interview question a buddy of mine got when interviewing at the 89th (presidential airlift).

You are flying the 1st Lady from Pt A to Pt B. She needs to be there for some type of super important event. When you check wx, while enroute, you determine it is below mins. Do you break the rules and get her there as directed or do you divert and make the President's wife late or even no show? For the record, I think a person on the receiving end of this type of question is going to get slammed either way, but the interviewers are looking for something...what could it be?