View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by thecloser2144 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I have around 3000 TT with 1600 PIC and 1000 instructor. If I apply at an airline, say Atlas, i'm afraid that when I show up they won't be able to read my ARMS printout.

Also, i'm afraid that if they call to verify (which I don't care) that the person that answers may tell them something that would question my hours total...make sense? I mean, I will pad my numbers to the downside and I qualify for most airlines to apply, but I don't want to show up to the interview or training and then get kicked to the curb for a dumb reason.

Any thoughts?...do they actually verify the hours and go over it that much?

Thanks.
I would recommend including a cover sheet with your ARMS report. Keep it non-pilot friendly and succinct. Provide details on how you computed all your totals and any per sortie additives for mil to civ conversion. Being conservative is a good plan.

I was hired at 3 airlines and used this technique with them all. They did not spend more than a few minutes looking over my log books/ARMS report in my presence. They may have made copies to verify after the interview but I can't say for sure. I would plan as if they will verify everything you tell them and make sure you can back all your data with reasonable methods and factual information.

Keep in mind that your computations may be different from airline to airline. Some airlines clearly state that they don't want any student time in the PIC total. Many others state they want PIC time just from the sorties where you signed for the aircraft. Some (myself included) interpret this to mean that they don't want solo student time since you don't have a license/wings and you're technically soloing under your IP's ticket. Another problem area is time you spent as the A/C with an IP on board the aircraft. You're legal to log this as PIC time with the FAA (and the USAF) but under airline XYZ's rules, you probably have to remove those missions from your PIC total. The IP was ultimately responsible for the aircraft whether your actually signed the forms or not.

There have been several threads about mil conversions and computing PIC time - you may want to do a search (you may need more posts to be able to do the search).
Good Luck