Thread: Omni Air
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 AM
SVA402
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008

Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
Can you be more specific? My sim instructors were outstanding, ground school however could have been a little shorter.
Sure, I apologize for not clarifying this originally. I felt that the groundschool was obviously too long and that by the end people were not absorbing information well. This "daily grind" thing is possibly the most ridiculous and demeaning thing to a professional pilot I've ever seen. How about just telling people to know limitations and memory items for an oral like every other airline? I felt like our instructor was not knowledgeable and wasted a lot of our time looking information up himself. It appears to me that nobody has ever actually written a groundschool for this company. We must have spent 15 hours reading verbatim from ops specs. Not only is this a terrible way to teach anything, but I looked around the room and saw that one person out of 16 was paying attention. We did not watch a single powerpoint during class which I thought would have been greatly beneficial in presenting information. I realize that this likely wont change, and I don't want to complain too much, but I feel bad for new hires coming through. I don't know what they've done with the daily grind now but if it has them memorizing weights for as many airplanes as we have now, it's not only a waste of time, but completely pointless. On a final note, we spent about 3 hours in class on the FMS, and I feel like for those of us with experience this was fine, but for those without, they were expected to have a much higher level of knowledge upon arriving to sims. Those are my thoughts, but perhaps other classes have been better?