Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Grumble
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by unitedflyier View Post
Interesting yes. When they hired in 2007 they got a lot less applications than they expected and the quality was not what the company expected.

If other major airlines start to hire around the same time I expect the same problem. How many will choose to work for an airline that has proved in the past that it's management and fellow senior pilots will furlough and throw the junior pilots under the bus to save themselves?

If there are 1,000 pilots still on furlough that can come back at anytime and bump you down for another 8 years, there would seem to be much better options for anyone trying to make it to a major.

They will also have to increase the pay as all the majors will be fishing from the ever decreasing pilot pool.

I hope it happens and gives the pilot some traction in labor negotiations after so many years of give backs and pay cuts.
It's sad you mention this. I remember back in the 90's when a job at UAL was the holy grail. It's where everyone wanted to be, that was the finish line. I don't know a single guy that ever wound up there (luckily I guess) nor do I know anyone that wants to be there. The guys I've met that "are" there, never want to go back. They either found something else or are riding the military deferment train all the way to the station.

The more I read in the news, books, forums, etc the more I believe the growing gap in income. What used to be a upper end job has been shoved to the middle class... And the upper class in Mgmt seems to be doing everything they can to stand on their heads and push them further down. Name your excuse for why, but their bonuses keep rolling in.