Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 AM
CombineCaptain
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: A Snap-On Toolbox
Default Busted Checkride/Possible New Career Advice

Hi to everyone at APC,
Right now I’m in need of some unbiased career advice. In 2003, I tried unsuccessfully to get my instrument rating while in college. Unfortunately I failed the instrument checkride four times. Yes, unfortunately you read that right…. FOUR times. After the forth time, I pulled the plug on my training, I was beginning to run out of money and decided that the four year degree was the priority. Very Embarrassing- not even many of my friends know. That being said, this is not a “Can I still fly for (insert 121 operator here) with four busts?” post. With the PRIA laws and a Post-Colgan airline industry, I’ve accepted that I will never be able to fly 121, 135 and probably most corporate flight departments. Originally I wanted to fly for the military, but I’m medically unable to even join (probably actually a good thing…if I couldn’t fly a checkride in a 172….I sure wouldn’t be able to pass one in a T-6/T-38). And yes, I’m one of those people that has loved airplanes since they were six years old. Currently, I’m 28.

A couple of years later I graduated with a four year degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology (I thought about changing my majors then, but I was halfway finished with my degree, so I decided to stay). I went to work at a small shop as an A&P for three years, at the time thinking I could somehow scrape together the finances to finish my ratings. I was/am a pretty good mechanic, but I never truly enjoyed the job (other than getting to fly every once in a while to pick up parts, fly to broke aircraft, etc. - I continued to fly with my Private to pick up parts/keep current, etc.) I still do maintenance work on the side and on my own airplane.

After that I got a job as a Quality Engineer and eventually worked my way up to Quality Supervisor at a medium sized repair station doing civil and military work. I tolerated he job because of the decent pay, to be around airplanes and be involved with military aviation. I released aircraft for flight, supervised employees, worked under Part 135, 145 and 21, wrote reports and managed the Non-Destructive Testing Program. While interesting, it was like a diabetic working in a candy store… I could look at the candy, move the candy around and manage the production and quality of the candy….but never eat it.

I am a “weekend warrior.” I have my own airplane and fly once a week or so, I have about 500 hours TT. Flying is fun, but I feel inferior to pilots that are flying for the airlines, or have obtained their instrument rating.

I left the repair station and now teach at an university A&P school. I tried this (and took a pay cut) because I truly thought I’d love it. I don’t. Some days it’s fun, but most of the time I find it frustrating because I see students that can and do achieve what they want do (many of them become pilots after getting their A&P) and unfortunately I can’t, but I remain positive and helpful to the students so they can get where they are wanting to go. So, during my years in the aviation industry I’ve never really had a job I’ve truly enjoyed- it’s been just one big consolidation prize.

I’ve thought about jumping ship to another industry, but I want to make the right choice the first time. I’m a bit reluctant to get out because I have so much time invested in aviation now (on the Mx side). I’ve also thought about ag flying (I have farming experience and no instrument rating needed.)
Does anyone have any suggestions? I know only I can decide what to do, but maybe someone has some insight that I possibly don’t (The old adage “Can’t see the forest though the trees” comes to mind.) Should I walk away from aviation? Stick it out? If I should get out, what would you suggest I get into

I’ve watched a video by General Welsh at the USAFA, which I highly suggest everyone take the 50 minutes to watch it (It’s on YouTube and very inspiring). He mentions that everyone won’t achieve their dreams, and if you don’t you’ll make new ones. I’m just looking for help to possibly find a new dream/direction (other than airline flying).

Sorry about the super-long post. Thanks for your time in advance.