Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
4 busts is unfortunately 4 busts for all eternity as far as your training record is concerned, but I agree with the others that you should continue training if you think it is feasible. Don't kid yourself though. If you are truly not meant to fly, by all means quit before someone gets hurt. But having a hard time with one rating may not be conclusive evidence that you cannot do it, although you are not off to a hot start. I say give it another try. The airlines do not want high bust pilots because they are expensive to train, it is not a moral thing. If you were to keep the bust count at 4 and get all the other certs with less trouble, I tend to think a hiring staff would recognize you triumphed over a learning block. From what I read here, it will probably not be an airline though because of the cost of training overhead. The bust limit for airlines is normally 3, with zero being common. Maybe 2 during a rapid growth period.
135 and 91 are certainly possible, but that assumes that there was some reason (other than lack of aptitude) for the four busts. Since it was the same rating it might have been the instructor, the examiner, or maybe distractions (or even lack of maturity) on your part.

Before you consider going down that road again you should do a THOROUGH and HONEST self-evaluation of your aptitude and what went wrong in 2003. Then go finish your IR at your own pace with an instructor you like and carefully select an examiner. See how you do and decide from there.

The downside here is that you really cannot afford another bust, so you would have that added pressure hanging over your head. Probably best to keep your day job and train on the side until you have a few checkrides under your belt.