View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Flint Stone
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: Side stick game boy.

Originally Posted by 29singlespeed View Post
Greetings -

I am not interested in becoming an airline pilot, so that being said I would like some recommendations on the best route to landing a float 135 positions.

Currently working on my CFII / MEI which will be done end of March and will add on my float and tailwheel in April/May. I am indeed lowtime career changer getting back in the game.

Kenmore - are they hiring CFI's? Likely to get much time?

Any others to consider? Caribean, Alaska, Hawaii, whereever is not out of the question.

Please respond if you have worked/flown in this arena. I know its low pay/etc.

Thanks!
Travis
Single Speed,

This form has some people who offer advice with no knowledge, so take it all with a grain of salt. I was like you and wanted to fly floats, so I got the rating and pestered the school to let me teach (fla). I was able to log about 800 hours float instructing in a years time. And yes, you need to stay alert, quite a novel concept. With that 800 hours float time and about 1800 hours total time I got a single engine sea ATP. That helps the potential 135 operators see that your serious about floats, that is what I did and was able to get an interview and job with an operator in the North East flying out of the East River of New York City. As for people saying it does not pay much, when I was out of a long term jet job, I called that previous employer and was hired as summer contract pilot flying the Caravan for 7K a month, pretty good living when you turn it into a full time job if you want to. Another plus is that QUALIFIED float drivers are harder to find than your run of the mill pilot. I am just about to give up chasing the shiny jet and go back to the little single engine turbine float plane and have a life again!!!

One word of advice for when you get your dream, check your gear at least 3 times on EVERY landing!