View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:31 AM
kansas
Swearing at the FMA

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: MD-88 FO

Originally Posted by flyflorida2001 View Post
Make sure you log it properly. You state that it is Multi-SIC. If you don't take a checkride, and the aircraft does not require a two pilot operaiton, it is NOT SIC. Depending on what kind of aircraft it is, and whether or not the guy in the left seat is an MEI it could be PIC or it could be nothing.
Agreed...for the most part. The FAR's specifically state that there's no practical test required for such a thing, you just need to make sure someone checks you out and signs your logbook that you're qualified. Seems to me that most life-flight operations that I've seen are King Airs. With anything smaller than the 200, you can log PIC time for all time which you were manipulator of the controls, since they do not require a type, just a multi-commercial. Anything larger than the 200 are heavier than 12500 lbs., require a type, and are single pilot (unless you stack 10 people in a 350, which is uncomfortable but possible). In this case, you are unable to log SIC (one pilot a/c in 99% of the missions), you are unable to log PIC (no type). You could log dual received if the person is an MEI, and, according to ATP privileges set forth in 61.167a, if they are an ATP, you could still log dual received, total, multi, but no SIC. However, I wouldn't be taking an internship if it was all right seat 350 time...this is a controversial topic as far as logging goes, and who knows how your future interviewers would feel about it, because the time you log would be neither SIC or PIC. Wow, I hope you followed on that mess.

To answer your original question...In a word, yes. When I made my regional application/resume blitz, I had about 650 TT with 130 in turboprops (most as SIC 1900), and around 250 multi. As a result, I was able to get a few interviews (Air Cargo Carriers, Big Sky, Colgan, and Great Lakes) under published mins. I talked to SkyWest recruiters face-to-face...and yes, they would not budge, at least not back then. I did not apply to Eagle or ASA, but they seemed more than willing to give my resume a hard look after talking to them, as well. Two of my friends with similar experience ended up getting jobs at Air Whiskey (to which I did not apply). The multi-turbine time speaks loudly to many regionals out there...even though some may still give you the snub due to total time, it is a worthwhile experience if the time is legit.

Good luck.