Thread: Another View
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 AM
LAfrequentflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Originally Posted by fireman0174 View Post
I think Al Haynes was 58 when UAL flight 232 occurred.

Lesser known, probably because it wasn't caught on tape like 232, was UAL Captain Dave Cronin's successful handling of a 747 from HNL after a large section of the fuselage had blown out, sucking nine passengers to their death.

Two of four engines quit and wing flaps were damaged, but Dave's flying skills and experience saved 327 passengers. Dave also made the decision to not drop the landing gear, which was part of the procedure for their high-dive. Analysis later determined that if the gear had gone done, they wouldn't have made the airport. Experience and judgment.

Also, when this occurred, they were deviating around thunderstorms, adding a few more complications.

Within a month Dave was "too old to fly" commercial airplanes. The year, as I recall, was 1989.

I flew as F/O with Dave on the DC-8. He could fly that old bird like no one else.

Of course, a few from this forum would probably state that if Dave was past 60, they wouldn't have made it.
What makes you think it was experience and judgement that saved the day?

Maybe he just guessed right and that made all the difference.

No...I don't buy the experience / judgement thing at all...We make the right decision and it works out. Sometimes we make the wrong one and it still works out.

-LAFF