View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I'm coming up on 5 years and I'm still 180 numbers from the left seat. I've discussed this before here- less and less guys are coming off the Boeing to the widebodies. The 727 is becoming a niche aircraft. I predict 6 years to get the bid, and another year to go to school. Yes I've got it bid at 100%.

Seniority rules, eh, Jetjok? How 'bout this - I will have the seniority to upgrade in a couple of years, and then you'll change the rule, and I'll lose that seniority. So maybe seniority isn't so sacred after all.

JJ I like you, I respect you, You're one of the good guys. But remember that while you're posting about the lovely semi-retired lifestyle you're enjoying on that panel - there's a guy just like you once were out there - a fighter guy maybe, maybe in his thirties, done his duty to his country in a war and now ready to get a stable job. Maybe he's got a kid or two and a wife that wants to stay home and raise them. And he's sitting on the sidelines, waiting for that seat of yours....
Huck,

While not a subscriber of the mutual admiration society, I also think that you're a good guy. However, realize this: I am not the one that is changing the rule. If it does get changed, then I'll be a beneficiary of it, but I was not a part of the growing revolution to get it changed. As for guys complaining that they haven't upgraded to captain in 4 or 5 years, don't bother. Guys of my seniority sat in the back seat of the 727 for 4 or 5 years, because there were no upgrades to be had. Guys at some of the majors sat back there for 15 or 20 years. I don't feel that badly for someone whose gotten here two or three years ago and now feels that his progress is being impeded, and he won't be able to hold captain for another 2 years. As for guys getting out of the military with the expectation that their way is paved, it just ain't gonna happen. If that were the case, maybe we all should just step aside so that the guy hired yesterday can be a widebody captain tomorrow.

Huck, it's a very parochial issue, but I can tell you this, suggesting that someone over 60 be allowed to fly, but to be confined to the right or back seat is not the thing to do, simply because it flies in the face of seniority. If for no other reason that guys who are hanging out in the right or back seat would be complaining about the same issues.