View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 AM
viking767
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
Lots of guys in my class took that leap. More than a few were doing really, really well as RJ captains but made the switch. I was an RJ FO for almost a decade, so it'll likely be a raise for me.

Plan on $1600/mo for the first 4 months when you run the numbers. training is 2 months, 747 guys typically have a month off before OE, flight pay kicks in when you complete OE.

Somebody posted the daily rig a while back, but basically if you're out 17 days, you will far exceed guarantee. only way to reduce that is to be in training, on vacation or on home reserve. unless OE is backlogged like the 767 is currently, i don't think you'll see many 50-hour months after you get on line. as for base reserve, you'll get the daily rig but get the tax hit for the days in base. depends on your base and what the company paid for your ticket. Highest airfares in the nation? HSV and CVG. maybe one of the 747 guys can chime in on how often you get base reserve. the new guys I know on the 747 keep pretty busy.

Trying to figure out what you'll make on the 767 is difficult until we get going. No one really knows. But i suspect the 767 freighter would probably be the worst case - if the schedule is week on/week off you may not be away 17 days and you'd always be beginning/ending in CVG and get the tax hit. If you were JFK based on the -300ER, you may not see JFK very much as the airplane may never be there. if they buy you a ticket to anywhere besides your crew base - no tax hit.

What sort of tax hit is it you are talking about?