View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
benairguitar23
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.....
Default United Hiring Advice

First a little background, my first airline flight ever was on a United 737-200 at the age of 5, and ever since that day my goal has been to fly for United Airlines. I currently have 3000tt, 2000 multi, and 1400 turbine SIC. I have been with my current company as an F/O for 2 years (4 if you count the furlough) which doesn't pay great but I'm getting turbine SIC. It doesn't look like any of us F/O's will upgrade for another 2-3 years but my goal is to apply and try to get hired by United as soon as they start hiring from the street which if the rumors are correct could be anywhere from 6 months to 1 1/2 years.

I would like to make myself as marketable as possible. That being said I'm wondering from a UAL/CAL pilots perspective, should I stay at my current company and continue building SIC turbine time with the possiblity of not upgrading by the time UAL hires, (would they even take me after the retirements start with no turbine PIC) or should I leave for a different company to obtain the turbine PIC? Possibilites being GoJets (PIC jet), Silver Airways (PIC turboprop) etc. Also would going to one of those companies look to be a bad career move in the eyes of UAL/CAL? Any honest opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by benairguitar23; 02-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.