View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 AM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Yeah I fly our Cirrus...from the Louisville area to MYNN and back this past weekend, in fact. Not a typical trip, but "a hell of a lot better than Delta" according to my private pilot boss

It is a GREAT airplane for a what it is - a single-engine piston. It is comfortable even with 4 adults in the cabin. Our Cirrus is personally owned by the company founder/owner/President/CEO/grand poobah. About 3 years ago we started using it for company staff after we got insurance sorted out, and use it about 200-250hr/yr on top of the 300+ our CJ2+ flies. It would fly more if it were approved for known ice.

Lots of our work is in small towns away from airline service, and 4-6 hour drives from our main office. We can fly the Cirrus 1-1.5hr and land 3 miles from the client, which makes our staff a LOT more productive, which keeps the bossman happy. Our plane also makes a lot of trips to Louisiana, and the air conditioning makes the plane bearable on the ground during summer but it ain't ice cold.

The airplane's safety record is spotty, but its due to the poor airmanship & decisionmaking of overconfident, low-time owner/pilots than issues with the airplane itself. Its not C182 forgiving, but it doesn't bite. Plus, "it has the chute" which, for better or worse, does placate some flyers nervous about "small prop planes".

I'd rather be flying a Meridian for more speed & pressurization, but the Cirrus is a great "short hop" airplane with the ability to go further.