View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Rogue24
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: 7ERA

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
Well written. Based on what he wrote, the MEC really has not seen the Company's business plan, or they saw it and Mr. Aaron does not believe it.

There are some minor subjective details which I differ from Mr. Aaron on:
  • ALPA did not "buy into the 50 seat RJ." ALPA sold unity. What management bought has lost value and ALPA is gaining back "unity" by economic default. To some extent the trade again is, "unity." However, the ratios are designed to ensure mainline pilots recover flying through the exchange. Mr. Aaron does not address any weakness in the language itself.
  • Most expect European problems to cause deflation. The inflationary side will not occur until nations and institutions begin to diversify away from the US Dollar (currently we're the prettiest pup in an ugly litter).
  • Merger protocols these days are expected to generate a new agreement in exchange for agreeing to a process to resolve seniority issues. Nearly any transaction Delta might engage in would require modifications to Section 1, or would be a Section 1 windfall for us as our contract puts caps on outsourcing.
Mr. Aaron probably has a legitimate concern with the manner in which these expedited negotiations violated our union's internal processes and procedures (was not there, dunno). But, once again it is alleged a very tight team negotiated what they believe is best, reliant on non disclosed information, with a "fait accompli" style presentation to our MEC. My "feelings" about this process are mixed. Certainly our NC cut to the chase, perhaps by going beyond their authority ... at the same time, management had an Exec. VP at the table wheeling and dealing as well. Neither side approached this as they would / will traditional Section 6.

I also differ with Mr. Aaron on the concept of external economic review. Generally, if paid by ALPA, the consultant will agree with ALPA. It is likely management would object to a third party coming in to review sensitive information and that in and of itself might be a deal breaker. Finally, but most importantly, there are not going to be any outside consultants who know Delta better than the experts Delta pilots have had working on the effort nearly full time (as long as I've been here).

If Mr. Aaron's point was an external legal review of the finished document, then we are in agreement. No harm there and more eyes on the document to clarify the intent of the parties would do no harm.

My opinion, FWIW (nearly nothing).
Delta’s CEO is on the Federal Reserve in Atlanta, and he has a far better understanding of the money supply and monetary policy than our expanded negotiating team does. He even stated (in a line check meeting) that he expected inflation to “hit like a ton of bricks.”

Did you really just say you are OK with the Admin and NC going around the MEC?