View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
DAL73n
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: 737n/FO

Originally Posted by fartboxflyer View Post
I am a 50% voter waiting for a bit more info to sway me. It is easy to get on either bandwagon and hoist the flag. Many arguments on both sides are valid.
The real problem here is the 800 lb gorilla in the room that is the Railway labor act. I honestly believe there is no president that will allow self help, based upon many factors economic and political. That is the fly in the ointment. Management put up a number that hopefully will pass by 51 % by their standards. That is their responsibility and it looks like it was close to target.
Did the MEC get every drop? Not sure.
Will the company sail right into a long sec 6 and dance for 2 years? I wouldn't blame them, that is their job.... and free money.
Will the NMB release us from mediation after 2+ years with a bigger number? Do they care about all the stickers and slogans during this time? not one bit.
I believe AMR/APA proposal with douggie parker says a lot, those boys are screwed and looking for any port in the storm. Seen their scope proposal? scary at best. I don't blame them cause the alternative is much worse.
This goes back to where we may be in 2015 under a traditional sec. 6 dance for 2+ years. The NMB doesnt give a crap what a 767 FO made in 2003.
DPA or ALPA cannot change the fact that the RLA controls our ability to walk away from any deal, pattern bargaining is really tough with most of the industry is in quicksand. Those folks on the NMB look at numbers on a napkin. Is 425 too little, will 700 (million) be too much in 3 years? Under our current PWA a 1% pay raise equals about 20 million/yr.
Tough numbers, but to think we will have a landfall contract on 2014 after mediation (and stickers and slogans) is tough to get my hands around.
RA coughed up 750m to make things work in this merger, UA/CO is gonna fight to even get to this number. I hate it for them but smizek is playing the lorenzo card. Odds are the CO scope will be sold for pay rates in the tune of 300-500 mil which is the number that will be DL +1
Actually, here's the flip side of the RLA/NMB Card - since we probably won't have a "fleeting opportunity in 2015" are you willing to live with this contract for 5+ years because it will be in DAL's favor to do a full Section 6 in 2015 - how good will these rates look in 2017? We're going to have to show we mean it at some time or management will continue to walk all over us. Might as well do it now to make sure the bar is not reset too low (our first non-BK negotiation) or 2015 will have this bar set with no chance of making it better. Labor peace obviously has some value to DAL (and we see how well constructive engagement has worked and how much DAL values our contribution) and we need to find out what the limits of that value is - I don't believe DAL has given the last dime and they can't buy new airplanes (without labor peace) at the rates they want then they won't be buying anything.