View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Sink r8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Default NO Voter Poll - Show us the Way

I'll agree this TA is marginal. There are some significant gains, but it's just enough to pass.

I see a rational path to voting for this, and an emotional path to voting down. I don't mean to trivialize the emotional aspect: I too want to be proud to go to work.

What I don't see from any no-voter is any sort of credible argument for a path that takes us from where we are, to a better place. I see two problems: 1) I suspect we only want one thing to get this to pass, and that single issue is going to cause us to get an even worse second deal (another poll on that in a separate thread), and 2) I'm being asked to take a sort of faith-based leap, to simply believe that refusing this TA somehow increases our leverage (it doesn't actually change our leverage at all), and that the company is going to simply take the hit.

Problem is, someone is going to lose credibility if we we turn this down, and it's going to have implications in future negotiations. If the company caves, we'll know we only need to turn down their latest offer every time. If we cave and take a worse second deal, we'll reveal our own weakness. Based on precedent on our own JCBA, and recent deals at other airlines, I think precedent is not on our side. There will kost definitely be a winner, and a loser if we call.

So my questions is this: why exactly is your plan after voting this down? Is it...