Thread: Power-on stalls
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM
pagey
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Left

Originally Posted by left seat View Post
I can't agree with the above posts any more. I figured the procedure was wrong after looking over the Airplane Flying Handbook, thus the reason for this post and to confirm my suspicion. Have flown with several CFI's and DPEs without any opposition. Thanks everyone.
ahh, couple questions.

1) Does this mean you are going to continue to reduce the power to idle on power on stalls even though an AC from the FAA says to do the opposite?

2) Have you ever asked these several CFIs and DPEs WHY they are doing this? What exactly is the reason to pull the power out, because I can't think of one other than a spin situation.

It is totally possible especially in a small FBO type school that all the instructors, and even the local DPEs all learned what they know from the same person(or few persons). Just because a few people told you "for sure" that this is the correct procedure doesn't always make it true.

When I was a CFI the AFH, PHAC, and IFH were ALWAYS our go-to for settling arguments either among ourselves over beers, or if a student just didn't believe what you were telling them. Also all my lessons were generally structured around what was in those books with some input from other sources if they weren't in depth enough( aerodynamics for naval aviators, etc...)