Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 AM
N2Core
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010

Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
It seems like everyday I get more proof that the Regional airlines are creating their own Pilot shortage. With FO pay so low nobody can justify becoming an airline pilot anymore.

Just the other day my buddy told me he has no motivation to become an airline pilot since it would require him to take a pay cut possibly for the next 6-10 years before he starts making the money he's making now $72,000+ a year. It would also take time away from his side business of fixing up old cars and selling them.

What makes this even more mind blowing to me is that it won't cost him any money for flight training since he has Post 9/11 VA benefits that pay 100% of the flight training to become a Commercial pilot.

He can become a commercial pilot for free and still won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I have a couple of other friends and former coworkers that have quit the business altogether, but I guess the bright side to that is 3 less resumes on the hiring manger's desk that I have to compete against.
I believe you are right on so many levels... After being in the industry for about 5 years now, I am actively looking to get out. I never thought I would say that, but I've watched lots of good, well-trained, professional pilots walk away from the industry and take jobs outside of aviation. It's sad really. Lots of amazing pilots are being forced out of the business and will never return due to the extreme mismanagement of regional and mainline carriers. And the public doesn't know or realize this. US pilots are going to foreign carriers to have better careers, and by doing so strengthen markets for other countries. The US aviation industry will not be able to compete with other countries.