Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
drrhythm2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
It seems like everyday I get more proof that the Regional airlines are creating their own Pilot shortage. With FO pay so low nobody can justify becoming an airline pilot anymore.

Just the other day my buddy told me he has no motivation to become an airline pilot since it would require him to take a pay cut possibly for the next 6-10 years before he starts making the money he's making now $72,000+ a year. It would also take time away from his side business of fixing up old cars and selling them.

What makes this even more mind blowing to me is that it won't cost him any money for flight training since he has Post 9/11 VA benefits that pay 100% of the flight training to become a Commercial pilot.

He can become a commercial pilot for free and still won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I have a couple of other friends and former coworkers that have quit the business altogether, but I guess the bright side to that is 3 less resumes on the hiring manger's desk that I have to compete against.
It's a simple matter of supply and demand.

If, at some point, the supply of available and qualified pilots becomes less than the demand, pay will have to increase, period. It's the only way to attract more pilots to the airlines.

The ATP requirement reduces the number of qualified pilots.
The economy and lack of available credit for training has decreased the number of qualified pilots.

The new rest time regs will increase the demand.
The upcoming retirements will increase demand.
An improving economy and/or increase in overall air travel will increase demand.

This is all well and good, but of course many factors could change the equation. A faltering economy, for one. Relief from new rules. Another increase in retirement age. Another terrorist incident. A wave of new TA's reducing overall airframes and therefore demand for pilots...

So who knows? The hope is that at some point, the equation reaches a tipping point where the only feasible option for the airlines will be, for the first time EVER, to ACTUALLY COMPETE for skilled labor through pay and benefits, just like every other non-governmental company on the planet. Wouldn't that be something?