View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM
PerfInit
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

I would, and did just that almost 6 years ago. Most of my friends and co-workers thought I was nuts. However, now with my former employer in BK, I am sleeping well at night knowing that I made the right move. It takes a bit of patience to get a Govt. job. In my case, 5 years of patience and persistence. Started as a GS-12 G/A Ops ASI and now am a GS-14 with two more type ratings than I had before. I love what I do. Lots of great opportunities for those that are passionate about aviation safety!

Regarding the Risk Assessment questions on AVIATOR (online app) here is my recommendations:

Google and Study "Systems Safety; Safety Assurance System; and Safety Risk Management".

Input as many "Hazard Reports" to your company as possible. Follow up and get involved. Mention it in the Application! Those familiar with OF-25's, that is what I am talking about. For example, back when I was with my former employer, I submittted a report to the company and suggested that Crewmembers be provided with Orange/Yellow Safety Vests at each jetbridge for the Preflight "Walk Arounds" so that they won't get "run over" by ground vehicles. OSHA Canada requires them. It took several years, but that company is now doing so at the busy hubs.

Good Luck, follow your gut (and your heart) and you will make the right decision.