View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Colorad_Kid...I was in your shoes about 6 years ago. I almost joined the Army to become a helicopter pilot right out of high school (after a few credit hours of college), as warrant officer. Now I am no expert on army aviation but from what I had researched the warrant officers do most of the flying in the army. The officers do some flying but hours seem to be limited from what I understand. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

I instead joined the Air National Guard and served for 5 years as a F-16 Crew chief while going to college. They paid for almost all of my schooling including all my costs to get up to my CFII. On top of that I was able to get hired by my unit and am currently in UPT.

I can't tell you much about the Navy. You don't really want to be on a boat with 5,000 other men do you? J/k BDGERJMN! Actually BDGERJMN maybe you could answer this question for me. What is the service commitment for a pilot in the navy? How many of those years will you spend in the jet? I ask because when I talked to people about joining the navy to fly they commented about how they had to spend a few years out the cockpit during their commitment.

As far the academies go I would look long and hard going to one of these. I have quite a few friends here in UPT class that went there and wish they would have gone elsewhere. My college years were the best years of my life and my academy friends look at them as the worst! One good thing is that if you go there and want a UPT slot then you are pretty much good to go, but living that kind of lifestyle wasn't for me. Also all your friends will be military people, not that that is bad but I enjoy have friends from outside the military. Finally to the most important thing about college.....chicks!! No offense but I bet the selection at the military academies are not that great . Even then what is it, 100 guys to 1 girl? At the college I went to it was 3 girls to every 1 guy (thanks to a nursing program)!

They seem very jealous of us who went to regular college’s and partied our a$$es off. I mean seriously, they expect you to go to class every day . Even on fridays!!!! . Go to a real college party it up and enjoy the four (or six) years college has to offer. You can do the ROTC thing or go OTS afterward. Or you could go to the "dark side" and joing the guard.

Feel free to PM with any questions.