View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 AM
BDGERJMN
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Walmart Greeter

[quote=crewdawg;124850]

I can't tell you much about the Navy. You don't really want to be on a boat with 5,000 other men do you? J/k BDGERJMN! Actually BDGERJMN maybe you could answer this question for me. What is the service commitment for a pilot in the navy? How many of those years will you spend in the jet? I ask because when I talked to people about joining the navy to fly they commented about how they had to spend a few years out the cockpit during their commitment. quote]

Crewdawg,

Yeah the boat can be a drag, not disputing that fact. As for the commitment, its 8 years from the time you get your wings unless its gone up and I'm not aware. So what does that mean? 10 years minimum. After you graduate from college, you will go to flight school for 2 years. If you get Jets(by that time JSF and superhornets will be your choices) you will go to the FRS for a year(7 to go) then 3 years in a deploying fleet squadron(4 to go) then 33 months on a flying shore(non deploying) tour......leaving you with 15 months left on your commitment. This is where the non flying comes in. After your shore tour, you will do what's called a disassociated sea tour. This could be on air wing staff, strike group staff, admiral's aide, etc. All of these jobs are 'non flying' jobs but are flying orders. Basically this means you still get to fly with a squadron or "Xhore" yourself out to alot of different squadrons to fly. Not everyone gets these jobs but its very likely you could get one. Dont' forget about the dreaded IA billet in there somewhere to support GWOT.

Bdger