View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 05:27 AM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
A pilot by comparison can become licensed to fly an airliner in 6 months and doesn't really require any college. A pilot career is doomed to be worth far less and is really not even close to a doctors job. It would be like comparing a garbageman with an accountant.

I have a paramedic friend who considered becoming a professional pilot. He choose to take a 2 year course to become a Physician's Assistant instead. He started his first job last fall and as a new hire started out making 85K. In a few yeas he will top out at 120K. Medicine is a growth industry and skilled workers are in high demand.

SkyHigh
Sky high I am beginning to see why you never made it in this industry. You have a pretty low opinion of yourself and the Job. Comparing a Professional Airline Pilot to a Garbageman is idiotic.

First point, there aren't any 6 month wonders flying Big Airliners that I have seen, let alone any Captains. Every Major Airline requires a 4 year degree, Comm-INST-MEL. Most desire an ATP with 1000 hours of PIC turbine. You don't get that in in 6 months.........let alone 1 year or 2.

Oh And your Parametic "Friend" needed a 4 year BS degree in nursing before he or she could become an Physicians assistant, which requires atleast an additional year of school as well as On the job experience. (Good on him/her BTW for having the drive and intitative.)

The 2 careers (Airline Pilot and Doctor) are different I'll grant you. But both are Professionals. Both "require" college and years of technical school and on the job training. I can't perform a appendectomy or Triple By-pass, But I'll bet your typical Doctor can't perform many of the tasks Professional Airline Pilots do on a daily basis. Money really has nothing to do with it........

And if you talk with many Doctors one on one, they will tell you that their job isn't what it use to be either. HMO's have destroyed many a private practice and now require the Doctor to have and assembly line mentality in the office..........no more than 10 minutes per patient, we must keep the productivity up.