Old 10-26-2012, 05:20 PM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by EYBusdriver View Post
Once in the expat game and you've received your command it's hard to move. Maybe some of the first officers may think about it, but if you are a wide body captain making between 14K and 18K per month it would be a bit difficult to go back to the right seat at AA. We have some ex DL, AA and UACAL guys here and none that I've spoken to are going back.
I’ve been an expat for the better part of 22 years with a short stint back in the US 14 years ago. My only regret is that I returned to a startup carrier in the US which eventually went bust. In the early years of my travels around the world, I passed on my recall rights to stay abroad. No regrets on that note as we all know what has happened to pay and benefits with many US carriers. However I was single at the time and the choice was easier. Many foreign carriers offer decent housing with good medical and education tuition benefits too. However it’s still an awful lot to uproot a family, move them half way round the world, and immerse them in a whole new culture with restrictions on one’s life style. It works for some… and well not for others.

Captains and F/Os overseas may think long hard about returning to the US to a minimum wage job without benefits with plenty of uncertainties. First Officers at many airlines abroad earn more than captains at some US carriers... with benefits housing and other perks. Some positions are non-commuting positions and thus may be hard on family life. Many may consider the potential for saving money, rapid upgrades, and the experience of living abroad outweigh taking a job in the US... even either DAL or UACAL.

I would think it pretty hard for a first officer at, let’s say EK, who is within a year or two of the left seat, earning good money to return to home at a good airline with the prospects of earning pay less than what cabin crew earn abroad, with the prospects of delaying the upgrade for another 10 plus years… and with the risk of furlough. Perhaps not the best career move.

A pilot is far more marketable globally with a couple of years of command under their belt. Command can lead to other opportunities in the BBJ arena too.

Other than living in the US, I don’t see the advantage of returning to a job with an entry level pay check with little or no job security.