View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 PM
ARL120384
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: A320 CA
Default Current Airline - Guard or AD?

First off,

thanks to all the guys who have sent PM's answering my questions, but I'll repost them for some fresh blood to see. This is my spin off of the Airline to Military thread. I have many many questions, but because the MIL page here on APC is rather brief, I thought I'd start a new thread. Im currently going on 28 (Dec) and work in the Regionals, and have for 6 years. Somewhat stable, but would like to avoid a move if at all possible. Ive always wanted to be in some form of military aviation. I know my days are numbered with my age, so here are my questions...

Guard or AD or Reserve? Whats the benefits of both, and if AD, benefits of each branch? I would like to stay in the airlines, and I think Guard would be the best, because I can live locally. Theres an ARW 35 mins from my house, and a few others in Mass. to choose from.

Is it correct, that you need to apply for a Guard slot, as if it was a regular job, and its dependent on available positions, and you passing a pre-entrance exam? And if AD, does it work the same way? Do you choose by aircraft, or location, or both?

Whats quality of life, and daily job duties of a full time/part time pilot? I'm obviously familiar with the civilian world, and my 4/3 schedule. What are schedules like as a military pilot, while not deployed?

These days, are you pretty much guaranteed being mobilized, whether AD or not?

As a Guard guy, do you have to do X amount of years AD before reverting to guard, or right out of training do you go back to the normal world, and do your 1 weekend/2 weeks?

What type of retirement/regular bennies does a Guard guy get, if he does say, 25 years of Guard? I know retirement is based on years of AD, and X amount of converted AD, if you're in the Guard. At least thats what I've been told. What does the weekend/2 weeks in the Guard consist of?

I think thats about it for now, in the interest of keeping the first post short. Thanks in advance!

ARL