View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

I have little patience for this type of thing. You are paying money for this service, it should be well developed, beneficial, the teacher should be an "expert", and he should have the support of those behind him. I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the teacher if it's his first time, but I'd put plenty of blame on those above him. All too often, they just tell someone "here, teach this, here's the jeppeson syllabus, just show these and go over these and it will be good. No one gave any direction as to lesson development, resources, approval of the training plan, and so forth. It's sloppy and it usually shows. When you're new to something, you need help, you need someone to help guide you, you need feedback from those above, you need support. It's possible they are treating him like a 2-bit contract person, but there is a lot that goes into development and structure that's not covered by "teaching hours". It's hard to motivate someone to work for 3 weeks unpaid just to develop a good course (reviewing supporting materials, organizing, etc).

These are the issues I'd bring up with the Dean. Does this person have adequate resources and support by the university? Who checks over the material? How did they allow him to practice first? How are they measuring the professor's ability? Is he an experienced educator, and if not, how are they helping him?

I read an article a few weeks back that said a huge problem in business with new personnel is not enough direction as to what to do and how to do it. To some extent, there may need to be some micromanaging at some level, to a large extent, each superior must hold their subordinates accountable and ensure they have what they need. That's not micromanaging, that's just accountability.