View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 06:45 PM
stealth114
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: CFI - SEL
Talking

Power off 180's have always been a fav of mine and one I was taught while doing my initial and did all the way up through my CFI... Of course each glide profile is different per aircraft. It was always a favorite maneuver of mine to do in the Piper Arrow. Always begin that turn right away because it doesnt glide like a C-172 does. So it will sink like a brick literally..

So, now Im truly analysing things on this maneuver and just tieing myself up in a knot..When I did this for my commercial SEL and then my CFI initial, I always pulled the engine abeam the numbers and then the touch down will eventually happen around the 1000 ft marker. Even the DPE told me to touch down in the 1000 ft marker area and I did so spot on.. And according the PTS, its 200 ft beyond this point you are permitted.

I think I am confusing aiming point and the touch down point.. Because in real life, aiming point is the numbers and touch down at 1000 ft marker..

the PTS said you should pull the engine abeam the point that you are aiming for. then surely one should have the aiming point when he is abeam the 1000 ft marker ? Or Aiming point is still abeam the numbers and touch down after floating, at the 1000 ft markers.. For me, I always hit it around the 1000 ft marker...