View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 06:00 PM
hfbpilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: A300 F/O

I thought about this discussion while driving home from flying the last leg of the week this morning. Airbus A300 304,400 lbs landing 18L, wind 230@19 gusting to 38, windshear, previous aircraft went around for windshear. Captain flying leg did outstanding job putting the A/C on the runway. Until you have to sign for the jet and to fly the aircraft to the A/C manual & FAR dispatch limitations ie max x-wind, wx, low vis etc you cannot fathom the responsibility. Anyone who thinks that no special skills are required or any one can handle a wide body jet in situations such as above is naive or has never been there. Funny all the general aviation guys at my local airport were not flying today, as said above windy but clear. If it’s so easy why were they not flying? Chrish acts like every doctor is a brain surgeon, most routine doctor visits are handled by the nurse and then the doctor visits for 5 min at the end. Does that mean the doctor should be paid less? No, he gets paid for what he knows and for the occasions that require his skills, just like an airline pilot when things get bad. I do love both general aviation and my job and yes I make good money. Do I deserve a raise when my company posts back to back record profits? Yes, if nothing else as to keep up with inflation. Chrish please provide some kind of proof to the working only 10days a month. I looked at all of our bid packs and could not find any lines that only worked 10 days a month.