View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM
hvydvr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: Wind checker

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
So much bad info in this thread I don't know where to begin...

To the poster who said fighter time was less valuable than MC-12 or whatever, you really don't know what you are talking about. As someone who has helped about 3000 pilots get ready for airline interviews, I can point out some stuff that is valuable:

1. PIC Turbine
2. Instructor experience
3. Evaluator experience

In other words, a two tour F-16 guy with 1000 hours and IP quals is going to score higher than a guy flying C-130s or C-17s who has 2000 hours but only 500 PIC and is just an AC. At my company, I know of at least 5 guys hired with F-22 experience and a handful more that have been called for testing and interviews in 2013. Nothing wrong at all with flying an MC 12 or going to the AFA and flying the UV-18 if you want, but don't confuse what adds value to a resume. Excellence and advancement IN YOUR WEAPON SYSTEM stand out.

Next point--most airlines have pilots in the process who are somewhat familiar with the career tracks in the military. They can identify someone who has done exceptionally well, and also recognize someone who was just skating by. Not everyone can be an instructor in their first ops assignment, and sometimes hours are tougher to get due to fiscal or manning issues. You don't have to be on track to be a WIC IP or a general to have a "solid, reasonable" track record that will get you hired. At the same time, the pilot who coasts and makes no attempt to advance is identifiable as well. Coasting in your first tour at BMC rates, getting 300-350 hours, and then taking the first assignment out of the fighter business sends a signal too.

In my experience as an airline pilot, CFI, and fighter pilot for 20 years, what I have seen consistently is that if you are successful in one arena, you will generally be successful in the next one too. Of course there are exceptions, and I've seen where a pilot who was stifled in on part of his career managed to excel in another later on. However, those are the exceptions and not the rule. So most employers, including the Air National Guard, look at your past performance to gauge an idea of where you might go in your next position. I've seen several guys turned away from ANG units not because of poor flying skills, but poor work ethic on additional duties or poor squadron social skills. So--if you want advice--here it is regardless of whether you get out or stay in: Do the very best you can do, every day, every mission, all the ********* time. You will fail some days. You may get leapfrogged for an upgrade. It won't always be fair. But you will get some wins, and you will learn about yourself. And then--with a reputation for a solid work ethic, a proven work history, and some grit--you'll do well no matter which direction you go.

I feel uniquely qualified to give you this advice not because I'm older than you, but like you (and many others) I got to my first F-15 squadron as a young captain after a FAC tour. Like FAIPs, former Navs and WSOs, banked pilots, and late rated guys, I too showed up without the benefit of having a "Lt shield" in my first fighter squadron. It wasn't easy. But I gutted through it, made a lot of mistakes, took my lumps and learned, and I got better every day. After going through that, I used to even tell other young guys that they probably wouldn't have "fun" in the job for a year or more. It takes a while to get a handle on even the basics of being an ops fighter pilot, and while it is "satisfying" sometimes it isn't fun. But what I can tell you with the benefit of experience is that if you CAN hang on, it WILL get fun. Maybe not tomorrow, or even next month, but if you can steel yourself a while it does get better. My own story is I went from my first squadron and went ops to ops, then to the FTU, and then to the ANG. Over 2000 hours and 15 years later I was damn glad I gutted through the first hard part, because it got very very good as time went on.

What you do NOT want to do is decide this is too hard and start sandbagging and accepting less than your best. Fight--I mean FIGHT--to get on the schedule. (Hint: Albie is "I'll be" Haigin' your sortie). Jump in the backseat--sit in on briefs if you aren't flying, and bust your ass to be the best scheduler/snako/planner/stan eval boy or whatever you are tasked to do. Make an appointment with your flt CC, DO or squadron commander and tell them you want to FLY. Ask them for advice on the best way to meet that goal, and then listen. Everyone has a different take, but odds are they will give you some solid pointers and appreciate your motivation and interest. You are a "virtual" Lt, and you need to fly to learn. What you don't do now is start pining for a return to ATC or an MC-12 tour to "escape" your current pain. It will get better. The biggest jerk is your squadron is probably due to PCS in less than 14 months, and in a year there will be 2 new flight CCs, a new DO, and a lot of new faces. If you don't like it today just give it time--it will change.

I suspect some of this is just the honeymoon of getting a fighter assignment wearing off and the reality of the challenges soaking in. Lots of guys have gone through this. Shake off those FAIP blues--you used to be someone and now you aren't. But--if you can grit your teeth, roll up your sleeves, and plow through this--you will be glad you did. You'll be more likely to get a better follow on assignment, more likely to get hired by the Guard, or more likely to get that call from the airline of your choice if you'll do a good job where you are right now.

Feel free to PM...I don't give out hugs but I can and will provide a boot in the ass with some real data points if it helps...

I'm one of the 3,000....with a successful job search. He knows what he's talking about.