View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Twin Wasp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

The FAA does not require item 1 for a type rating, at least not yet. Under the proposed revisions to the ATP is a requirement for 24 classroom hours and 16 sim hours for any ME ATP.

2. Is about the same, I've seen 80 hours as a normal classroom hour requirement. There's no FAA requirement for a written exam, I've seen some airlines do one.

3. Thirty two hours is a lot. Most airlines and 142s do about 24 and one checkride. And if it isn't a level C or D you have to do some items in the real airplane. Low vis SMGS stuff is cover in the type, CAT II &III may be separate after the checkride.

Under 121 you'll spend ~ 20 hours with a check airman getting Operating Experience -OE. Then you have High Minimums till you have 100 hours on the aircraft. You normally have to add 100 and a half mile to all approach mins.

The FAA says a normal type oral should last 2 hours. I had a Fed cut me off in mid sentence at 1:59:30 during my 727 oral. We'd just barely made it down the FE's panel to the hydraulic system.

The FAA publishes the requirements for a type on the airplane ATP PTS.