Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM
CombineCaptain
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: A Snap-On Toolbox

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
That's ridiculous. Of course you could fly for 121, 135, or a corporate outfit. Your failures occured early in your primary flight training. Your'e flying now, and doing well. This is something that will stay with you. For your own peace of mind, even if you never elect to seek a flying job, go back and get your rating. Hammer it out, slowly one-on-one with a Part 61 instructor. Take all the time you need. Get over the hurdle.

If I missed it and you've done that already, then you've nothing to worry about in the future. Consider it a learning experience, and as others have noted, I'd give a lot of thought to the root cause of your experience in the training you received; four failures is usually not a student issue. It's a training issue, and the fault, while ultimately with you as the applicant, lies largely with the instructor and the program that recommended you for the tests when you weren't ready.

Life isn't over yet, and neither are your career options.
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm just trying to be realistic about career opportunities available to me. After being involved in aviation for over 10 years, I kinda feel burnt out of it, that's also another reason why I've thought of getting into another career field. It's hard to supervise stuff on aircraft and go home and look at more aviation related stuff to study for the instrument rating. I like flying, but not working on or supervising aircraft maintenance (one exception... I don't mind working on my own airplane). My thought is if I had a career in a different industry, I might not be as burnt out on airplanes. Has anyone ever been in that position (as far as "aviation overload" is concerned)?