Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
My kids log time when I fly with them (just in case they ever need total time), but I'm a CFI so it's dual. If Dad is a PPL, his kids can log sole man too?
Do the kids have pilot certificates? If they don't, there's nothing countable to log if they are not receiving dual. If not dual they simply don't fit any 61.51 category for logging flight time (PIC or otherwise; they are hopefully not the sole occupants of the airplane!).

You can play with the words a little and end up saying they can log landings for currency but there's nothing to be current for because they aren't going to be acting as pilot in command of a flight with passengers (at least we hope not).
OK, so since it's not verbotten that makes it OK.
It's not a matter of being verbotten or not. These are logging rules. They are a 100% bureaucratic creature. There's no moral authority handing them down. That's kind of the problem with logging discussions - people substitute "I don't think it's right to do that" for categories that are simply "here's how to count things for the FAA." If what you are doing fits the regulatory language, it counts; if it doesn't fit the regulatory language, it doesn't.

In the case of landing that count for acting as PIC with passengers, the FAA created a short punch list of what counts. Pilot fits the punch list? It counts.