Thread: ANR Headsets
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by Undaunted View Post
Apparently the port on the mike adapter is both an input and an output. If you plug an earbud into that port, it should provide ATC reception even with a dead battery. I don't know if the mic will still work but I'm going to find out today.
It'll work - it has to!

The UFlyMike (with the headphones) is the 'headset'. The Bose QC15 is merely the 'headband'. Just like you can use a Telex 5x5 without the headband (clip it onto your glasses or onto a piece of plastic attached to your custom earbud), you can use the UFlyMike without one too.

Bose doesn't like that there's a way to have a Bose ANR headset without buying their $1000 model, so they've done EVERYTHING they can do to try to put UFlyMike out of business.

The weakness of the UFlyMike set-up is the QC15 won't play audio when the battery is dead (there's a light that blinks at you for 5 hours before the battery dies, so you'd have to be an idiot to miss it. Naturally, when something's almost idiot proof, FAA is on the case). So, first Bose went after UFlyMike for that - and UFlyMike added the earbuds.

The latest thing is this TSO'd nonsense. So, now, the whole headset is TSO'd - they literally just put stickers on the headset, that makes it TSO'd! The kicker of it is:
  • The FAA does not require aviation headsets to be TSO'd (cite the FAR reference that requires TSO'd headsets if you think I'm wrong) Airlines can in their ops specs, though.
  • TSO'ing something only means it was manuafactured to a basic specification. You can have a superior headset, but, if the manuafacturing process wasn't officially decalred TSO'd, then the headset isn't TSO'd.
  • If you modify a headset at all, it's not TSO'd anymore. So, anyone using an in-ear headset without the offical, manufactuer's original equipment (new ear buds, new ear covers, etc) - it's not TSO'd. Anyone with custom ear buds molded to their ear is NOT using a TSO'd headset. Do you have an extension cord, an adapter, or anything that wasn't original to the headset (the cord that connects your music to your headset)? Yep, the whole headset is no longer TSO'd. Think your iPod is TSO'd? Of course not!
  • An item must be continually re-inspected to remain TSO compliant. You think those company supplied headsets are re-inspected every so often? Of course not. They're likely not TSO'd anymore either.

So, essentially, 90% of us are using non-TSO'd headsets. Somehow, planes are not falling out of the sky.

It's a silly game that Bose is playing to try to get pilots to use the $1000 Bose headset. Bose isn't going after any of the other headset makers. Just look at this thread: the clarity aloft headset isn't TSO'd (the Pro is, but not the original) - guys still recommend it. Does anyone mention its not TSO'd? Nope. Who cares!? Did anyone make sure to tell you the UFlyMike is not TSO'd (which is wrong, it is) - of course. It is amazing how effective Bose's disinformation campaign has been!

Again, I don't work for a headset company. I just find it beyond the pale that, on the 'technical' portion of APC, pilots are spreading Bose's disinformation campaign.