Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Tomahawk58
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011

Originally Posted by cactusmike View Post
The low cost factor definitely played a major role in being profitable. But that was more a factor at awa than lcc. I do not have the CASM comparisons handy and I'm too lazy right now to look them up but the post merger CASM doubled over the AWA costs to around 14.5 cents/ seat mile. I don't think that is a lot cheaper than everyone else. I am prepared to be corrected, though.

Being able to mesh the two airlines will be key. If past practice is followed look for most American policies and procedures to stay and for LCC people to have to adapt to them. Dug went out of his way to placate the East employees. It will be interesting to see if that is repeated.

One thing that I hope we will see is adoption of the AA 9 month AQP cycle versus our 12 month cycle. 12 months is too long between sim sessions. Another big decision will be checklist philosophy. We use flows and minimal checklists while I believe you guys still use read and do. At AWA we wee even more heavily set on flows with checklist just covering the stuff that will kill you. For instance, the 757 taxi check list used to be one item - Flaps: ___ set. Everything else had been done on the afterstart flow. The airbus is very well suited to flows, with the lights out philosophy. If its not lit, you're good to go.
Good points all around. I'm a big fan of the R9/R18 AQP training cycle. To your concern, it is easy to get a bit stale with a 12 month rotation. We've tried numerous ways over the years to streamline the checklist. I think we could clearly learn some new tricks and techniques from you all especially with respect to Airbus operations. I think you all will like the move to iPads for the EFB !

You know within the airline business, we all like to think our individual companies have a lock on how best to operate, so shaking things up isn't necessary a bad thing. I have to admit though, it's hard to do at times.

Looking to the future!