View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM
DWS1
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2008

Originally Posted by ImEbee View Post
I think most of us who responded understood that. The flaw in your argument, so to speak, is that a union will indeed "raise the bar". I can't think of any recent circumstance where a pilot group organized and the result was better compensation and/or work rules. I think the reason most groups have organized recently is because they have seen an erosion of their working environment and see a union as a means of mitigating that. Frankly, I can't think of any recent circumstances where organization of a pilot group has transformed a company from a stepping stone into a career.
True, most recent pilot groups to organize have been in failing Companies as pilots tried to arrest the erosion of their compensation and QOL. That is also a sign of current economic realities as well as various groups caught on the defensive after drinking the Kool-aid during the good times. Either way, what would you recommend individual pilots do to enhance their compensation and protect their livelihoods other than rely on good faith?

There are plenty of success stories with organized pilot groups. SWA, NetJets, DAL, UAL, Spirit (their contract is better than many give credit), etc. In fact, most every example of a career success story in this business is with an organized group with those stand alone's being the exceptions (JBLU for one) not the rule.

Bottom line, via whatever means, the various pilot groups of the fractional industry should command what they deserve and most currently are not.