View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 PM
afterburn81
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: A320

There are a few ways to do it right in this industry. Using loans to finance training is a really bad way to get your career started. I can't stress enough how incredibly bad student loans are to a person wanting to make a living as an airline pilot. Please don't hear me as some negative bitter pilot. If you finance anything over 30K for your pilot training, you will most likely find yourself never able to get ahead. In other words you will enjoy life getting gang banged by your employer and your student loan company.

The purpose for investing is to generate a profit once you have returned on your investment. This profit should be generated in a reasonable amount of time. Any investor would tell you this is a very important rule of thumb.

Financing your pilot training is a horrible investment. Trust me, after you dedicate your life to getting a good training, applying it and living the life of an airline pilot for a few years you will wonder why you ever said you would do it for little compensation. Six figures isn't being greedy. It's a reasonable compensation for the skills and professionalism you have cultivated into yourself and provide for your employer.

Don't sell yourself short. This is what made investing in the career the worst possible investment.