View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 AM
gdpballin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: C-172

Many schools (academy's/accelerated schools) aren't considered accredited schools, therefore the loans you pull out wont be considered student loans. Schools like ATP will label them as 'student loans', but they are merely a personal loan with a jacked up interest rate.

I'm on my way to flight school now, originally I was going to go to ATP so I could get my ratings done soon and start making money (I just graduated college, low debt from that.) I applied to Salliemae and their 'student loan' that they give out for these ATP pilots, and it was a joke.

11.5% interest rate over a 15 year period was over a total of $110,000 in debt, for a $50,000 program, with $700 a month payments. Needless to say, I won't be going that route. Every pilot on here has already said that you don't make **** for your first years in the industry, so don't take on any unnecessary debt.

I'm not going to ATP anymore. I'm going to a school that offers ground school and a longer program but pay as you go and at your own pace so I can pay for this and stay debt free. It may take a little longer to get there, but it's worth it. I'm not giving salliemae & the government any more money than I have to. Just make sure you do the appropriate research before you go tacking on tens of thousands of dollars of debt.