View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Sunvox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: EWR 777 Captain

Originally Posted by EWR73FO View Post
So what were they again and just what exactly did they win? I starting to get a little emotional here......

Again, not an ALPA insider, and I have not checked these "facts", but my understanding is that the 2011 UniCal pilot profit sharing distribution was challenged on 2 fronts:

1) The methodology used to determine distribution to UAL pilots was not in keeping with their CBA because it included the CAL pilots in the total pilot count. (This is the one that has supposedly been ruled in favor of UAL-ALPA.)

and

2) The CAL-MEC Chairman and the company violated the TPA by negotiating a non-contractual payment independent of the tri-party negotiations. (This was awaiting the decision above even though it was filed first under the expedited process of Grievance hearing, and no award has yet been negotiated).

It is also my understanding that the disputes were complicated by issues surrounding national ALPA as Lee Moak "flip-flopped" on key evidence, but again I am NOT an insider and have no way to verify these "facts" so consider this a rumor that you should independently verify with your local LEC reps.

A humorous aside, when the decision was handed down against CAL-ALPA and the company on the first part, supposedly Jay Pierce was in the room and stood up to offer his services in negotiating a settlement with the company, and he was then "thrown out" of the proceedings by the arbitrator at the request of UAL-ALPA. Again only rumor

Funny stuff actually, and I'm sure just the beginning of a never ending circle of internal battles. If UAL-ALPA does win both, how much you wanna bet we, the line pilots, never hear about it and the award gets negotiated for something like a 1000 year fence for Jay Heppner and his 747-400 driving buddies while the rest of us are left to squabble over 737 captain seats and pull each others eyes out in the process.