View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by 4A2B View Post

Field Standby's are only created for an actual spare aircraft that is intended to be "manned", we should know what the GOC scheduled aircraft type is and the pairings should be put in the bid pack for the type. If they "claim" a standby, in say IND, is a 757 yet every time they launch the crew it is on a 767 then I would suspect there will be some discussion about that.

I take it you've never sat Standby when there was no airplane on the ramp. 95% of the Field Airport Standbys I've done in the last 2 years had no airplane on the ramp. When I requested to be released 15 minutes early (to get on the jumpseat) I was always refused because I might need to go to the passenger terminal to take a commercial deadhead to somewhere to fly an airplane.

If I was doing that for the B-757 but there was no B-757 sitting on the ramp, how could I verify that the Standby period was actually for the B-757?

Originally Posted by 4A2B View Post

As for base airport standby's that is a bit more fuzzy, since in a place like MEM they are used for more than just manning a spare jet. It is a good question to ask and the NC to answer. What bid pack open time will they show up in, for make-up ? For reserve assignment will they all be NB, except of course when a WB reserve gets one? Needs clarification, but we all know that not every single scenario is outlined in a CBA or LOA otherwise you would never see a stopping point to actually cement a deal.

I think it's fuzzy in the field or at the base, which makes me wonder why it was addressed in the video at all, given that it is NOT addressed in the LOA. I don't think the subject is so far off in the weeds that it cannot be addressed with explicit contractual language. What we have at this point is worse that intent language -- it's a video with one person's thoughts about how it should be done. I can easily see a grievance and another set of scales in our future.