Thread: B2
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by AZFlyer View Post
I'm curious about whether or not China will get involved militarily if the NorKs attack the US/SK. Got to be a tough spot for them.
They will not get involved militarily, and if they did by some chance it would be on OUR side. They are the last people on earh who want an armed conflict there because they expect (correctly) that they would be inundated with literally millions of refugees from nK flooding across their border. They would then have to care for them...there would be far too much international scrutiny to just let them starve or line them up along trenches and machine gun them.

The only reason the Chinese like the current regime is because they maintain control over their starving masses, and they are better than a re-unified Korea that would probably be a staunch US ally.

Originally Posted by AZFlyer View Post
Also, to what scale would a NK attack have to be before it was sufficient for the US to declare war?

Shelling an uninhabited island in the sea would probably not do it, but thats all I believe the NorKs would have the nuts to do.
Well Nk used a submarine to sink a ROK warship a couple years ago, and our administration apparently talked the ROKs out of going to war then. the only thing that prevented a war then was the fact that it took weeks or months of salvage and forensic work to determine exactly why the ship sank.

Also, technically, if the attack was on the ROKs (vice US forces), the ROKs would be the ones to declare war (almost certainly after consulting with the US) and then we would be treaty-bound to go along with them.

If nK attacks US forces or cities, I don't think the administration could wiggle out of it...whether the retaliation would be limited or full-scale remains to be seen.

Complicated situation. And in all seriousness I have doubts about the rationality of whoever is pulling the strings over there. Most of their posturing is probably intended for internal consumption (put fear in the populace and rally them around the government). But somebody over there may believe that the ultimate decision maker on our side (obama) is weaker than he really is. nK got away with sinking the ship because it was (literally) an under the table kick in the nads, so nobody knew who, what, how right away and we could grind our teeth and keep a straight face.

I doubt the nK leaders want a real war (they may or may not be well enough informed by their military to understand that they would lose). But with all this posturing and chest beating, it would be easy for a low-level nK commander to end up believing his own government's BS and inadvertently start a war. Or the nK government could miscalculate and push us too far...ex. threaten to nuke Honolulu if we don't pull all forces out of the peninsula by a certain date.