Thread: Mesa
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 PM
sulkair
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by skillett View Post
And by the way, you can make 36,000 a year at Mcdonalds. live in Hawaii, get done with work and grab your board and hit the waves as well. Like you said, Mesa is what you make it. And at 40, my wife, kids, friends and family are all reaping the benfits of my incredible success.
Yep, skillett - I'm the same age, and in the same exact boat. Downgrade, two small children. Point about Micky D's well taken, and I agree. This sucks bad and I feel stuck!

But... If I'm honest... Out of a new-hire class of well over 30, myself and only one other pilot are still at Mesa. Half dozen of them are now at Southwest. Half dozen at Virgin. Another half dozen at Jet Blue, I think one got on at Alaska. The rest are at Emirates, Atlas, you name it.

Point is I have no-one to blame but myself and I know it. Should have flown more, (not always bid CML reserve) should have knocked out that degree in the hotel rooms (at least you got that under your belt), should have upgraded earlier, should have been an instructor, check airman. Should have shook more hands, made more friends, and on and on.

What will become of us guys who are too old to start over yet still young enough to hope for a shot at a good airline job? Don't know but I'm as discouraged as you are trust me.

It'll get better next year right?